The taste of coffee. Description and systematization of coffee flavors
Coffee is one of the most popular and favorite drinks of many people. Researchers distinguish about 300 elements of taste in green coffee, and more than 900 in roasted coffee. All of them individually differ in a special aftertaste and aroma, which in combination allows you to create new taste sensations.
Coffee taste alphabet
The taste of coffee is a combined perception of all taste sensations, starting with the aroma and ending with the final aftertaste. The description is possible at three temperatures: about 70 ° C – hot, 40 ° C – warm, 25-30 ° C – cold.
The main characteristics are:
– sweetness. Achieved with balanced components;
– bitterness. Advantageously emphasizes sweetness and hides acidity;
– acidity. Makes coffee refreshing, juicy, fruity;
– the aroma. Allows you to create a comprehensive view of the drink;
– heat. Tactile sensation of coffee in the mouth and quality indicator;
– balance. The combination of all aspects of taste, an indicator of balance.
Wheel of coffee flavors. Characteristics of Coffee Flavors
Coffee aromas are systematized in an unusual way. There are the following descriptions of the taste of coffee.
- Group of earthy aromas. Bright representatives: “earth” (rich smell of soil after rain, reminiscent of a beetroot smell), “potatoes” (aroma of cooked potatoes, sulfur subgroup).
- A group of green odors. Interesting options: “garden peas” (smells like freshly peeled peas), “cucumber” (aroma of crispy fresh cucumber).
- A group of dry, vegetable smells. Representatives: “straw” (smells of dried grass).
Floral spicy group. Bright representative – “coriander seeds”. The aroma of dried plant seeds with a floral note.
- Vanilla is a representative of a group of sweet, balsamic aromas. It smells of orchid and vanilla pods.
- Flower group. These are “tea rose, red currant” (classic), “coffee bloom” (sweet white inflorescences of a coffee tree), “black currant” (smell of foliage of a currant bush, sulfur subgroup).
- “Coffee Pulp” – a representative of a group of enzymatic, wine. The smell of cherry pulp after soaking.
- “Cedar” (smells like a felled tree) and “maple syrup” (smells of licorice with brown sugar) belong to the woody group. The smell of a felled tree.
- “Clove” (spicy-sweet representative). The smell of cloves with notes of vanilla and honey.
- “Pepper” (a group of terpene aromatic tones). Bright, pungent aroma of hot pepper with a touch of metal.
- “Lemon” (citrus group). Energetic, refreshing aroma of lemon peel.
- “Butter” is one of the representatives of the oily group. The soft smell of fresh hazelnuts in combination with oil.
- “Honey” (wax, flower). Floral aroma of a flower with honey notes reminiscent of nougat or gingerbread cookies.
- “Skin” (animal aromas). Tanned leather smell, such as the skin of a buffalo, sheep, pig, goat, crocodile, etc.
- Group of fruit smells. This is “apricot” (rich aroma of jam), “apple” (the smell of sweet peeled fruit).
- Frying group. Representatives: coffee with caramel flavor “caramel” (smells of fried fruit), coffee with chocolate taste “dark chocolate” (chocolate smell with sugar notes), coffee with almond flavor “fried almonds” (it smells like almonds with sugar and chocolate, a subgroup of dried fruits) , “Walnut” (classic aroma, dried fruit subgroup), hazelnut flavored coffee “roasted hazelnut” (smells of fried fruits, dried fruit subgroup), “malt” (“cereal” smell, cellulose subgroup), “toast” (smells of freshly baked bread )
- The aroma group is the classic “roasted coffee” (sulfur subgroup), “roasted peanuts” (a subtle smell of peanut butter), “cooked beef” (a combination of ready-made beef and roasted poultry, animal subgroup), basmati rice (it smells of cooked rice porridge), “ smoke ”(light aroma of smoked meats),“ pipe tobacco ”(smells of burning tobacco leaves).
- Chemical group. This is a “medical” sweet smell of smoke and a rubbery “rubber” aroma.
To learn about the taste of coffee is very useful, because it is a good opportunity to make the drink tastier and better.